Fall Semester is the normal time of entry into our graduate programs. The curriculum is designed with Fall Semester entry as the norm. Furthermore, no assistantships are currently available for Spring Semester applicants.
The deadline for applications for Fall admission is April 25 and for Spring admission is November 15. However, in order to be given full consideration for a Departmental or Graduate School assistantship, applications must be received by January 6, for the Fall admission cycle.
Applicants must submit most application materials to the Graduate School.
The Graduate School application process starts here. Please read and follow all instructions carefully. Incomplete applications cannot be processed by the Graduate School or the Department. Materials to be submitted directly to the Graduate School include:
- Graduate School application form
- Application processing fee
- Three letters of recommendation—these must be submitted by your letter writers directly to the Graduate School online application system
- Unofficial transcripts of all institutions attended—official transcripts will be required if you are admitted
- Writing sample—preferably a paper written for an undergraduate or graduate philosophy course
- Statement of purpose—a 500–1000 word statement, explaining which areas of philosophy you wish to pursue and why you wish to pursue them
- TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable
- Certificate of finances, if applicable
If you would like to be considered for an Assistantship, please fill out the Application for Assistantship form. This form must be sent to the Graduate Coordinator either by mail (Graduate Coordinator, Department of Philosophy, 107 Peabody Hall, University of Georgia Athens, GA 30602-1627) or as an email attachment.